Delicious creamy vegetarian meal made with broccoli and penne pasta oven baked with layers of Sirimon Cheddar and Ghee Béchamel sauce
Cheddar and Ghee Béchamel sauce
- Sirimon Cheddar (shredded) 145g
- Ghee – 2 tbsps.
- Wheat flour – 2 tbsps.
- Salt- ½ tsp.
- Heavy Cream/ evaporated milk- ¾ cup
- Water- 1¼ cup
- White pepper- ¼ tsp.
- Broccoli- 2 chopped florets
- Pasta of choice- 300g
- Sirimon Cheddar (shredded)
- Garlic – 2 cloves
1. Sauce: in a saucepan over medium heat, melt the ghee
2. Add in flour, white pepper and salt whisk to form a light paste
3. Reduce heat, gradually stir adding the water then heavy cream
4. Add cheese and keep stirring until its melted
5. Simmer on low heat until it has a ribbon consistency
6. Pre heat the oven as you prepare the other ingredients
7. Casserole: in salty boiling water, blanche (half cook) the broccoli florets for 3mins.
8. In a different pot of salty boiling water add oil and pasta and blanche for 5 mins and strain with cold water to avoid sticking
9. Toast the garlic on a dry pan and chop
10. Assemble the casserole in the dish starting with the pasta and garlic then broccoli on the top and completely cover with the sauce
11. Place in the oven and bake for 15 mins 12.
Slice and serve hot. Bon Appetit