For the Flatbread
(Makes 10 pieces)
1 cup Sirimon Gouda with cumin, finely grated
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp cooking oil
4 tbsp yoghurt
¼ tsp squid ink (optional- for black flatbreads.)
For the Edamame:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sumac
½ tsp black pepper
For the Beetroot Hummus:
2 cans chickpeas
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/3 cup lemon juice
4 heaped tbsp tahini
1/3 cup olive oil
For the Hummus
- Start with the by rubbing the beets with oil, wrapping in foil, and roasting in an oven at 180°C for 1 hour.
- Once roasted, let the beets cool and then peel off the skin using your fingers.
- Cut the beets into 1-inch cubes and in a food processer, blend into small pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the olive oil) and blend until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the food processer while the hummus is mixing.
For the edamame:
- Toss all the ingredients together and roast at 180°C for approximately 15 minutes or until golden.
For the Flatbread:
- Start by activating the yeast by mixing the water, yeast, and sugar together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and cheese well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the oil, yoghurt, egg, and squid ink (optional). Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Finally, add in the yeast mixture and knead for approximately 5 minutes until well combined. Set aside for 1 hour at room temperature.
- After an hour, split your flatbread dough into 10 equal pieces.
- Working one ball of dough at a time, roll each one into approximately 20cm rounds.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side on a skillet over medium-high heat (no oil required).
- Once cooked, top your flatbread with the hummus, edamame, and your favorite toppings.
We added lamb mince and spring onions too!