A playful take on Kenya’s beloved staple, ugali!
- Sirimon Everyday Cheese (shredded) – 150g
- Ugali Flour (maize meal)- 2 cups
- Water - 4 cups
- Butter - 1 Tbsp.
- Spring onions finely chopped - ½ Cup
- Minced garlic – 1 tsp.
- Salt – ¼ tsp.
- Wheat flour - ¼ cup
- Breadcrumbs – 2 cups
- Eggs- 1 Oil (deep frying)
1. Add water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add the maize meal gradually as you stir with a mwiko (wooden spoon) until all the flour has been incorporated. When a dough forms reduce heat as the sixes of the pot dry up, your ugali is ready.
2. Transfer to a steady bowl and add butter, spring onions, garlic and salt. Mix it in with the same wooden spoon as above
3. Cut the cheese into ½ cm cubes. Stuff it into a handful of ugali and roll into spherical balls. Coat with flour and set aside.
4. Deep the floured balls into a bowl of whisked egg then into bread crumbs them set in the fridge for 10 mins.
5. Heat oil in a deep pan and prepare a container to place the deep fried cheese balls. 6. Deep fry the balls until brown and crispy .
Serve with Ketchup or sauce of choice Bon Appetit
Tip: if using leftover ugali, make sure you heat the ugali in a pot of water and cover to steam. When the ugali softens drains the water and proceed with step 2 above.