ROASTED VEGGIES QUICHE
Ingredients for the pie dough:
2–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cold and chopped
½ cup ice water, plus more as needed
Ingredients for the vegetables:
2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 red onions, quartered
2 red bell pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
2 green bell pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
1 bunch asparagus, cut into segments, woody ends discarded
3 tomatoes, halved
2 courgettes, sliced
100g tenderstem broccoli
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to season
Ingredients for the Quiche Mix:
5 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the pie shell:
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt together.
- Add about 6 tablespoons of the ice water into the flour mixture and begin to stir together. Keep adding water till the dough comes together. Knead on the counter and use your hands to form the dough into one ball.
- Divide the dough into two and cover with cling film for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and line base and side of the fluted flan tin.
- Gently press the pastry up against the sides, making sure there are no air bubbles.
- Trim to fit.
- Prick base with a fork.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Line pastry with foil and add baking beads or uncooked rice to bake blind.
- Place tin on the baking tray in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven.
- Carefully remove foil and baking beads and set pastry shell aside to cool.
To roast the vegetables:
- Spread out vegetables in a large baking dish.
- Coat well in oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes until very slightly charred.
- Set aside and cool slightly, separating the onion layers.
To prep the quiche :
- Whisk together the heavy cream,milk, 4 eggs, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Use the extra egg to brush a thin layer of egg white over the bottom of the crust. This will help to keep the crust from becoming soggy.
- Sprinkle the cheddar evenly over the crust and then spread out the roasted veggies.
- Sprinkle on the cheddar cheese and then carefully pour the egg mixture into the dish. Be careful to not overflow the tart or the eggs could run over the edge of the crust and into the bottom of your dish.
- Whisk together the egg from the egg wash and use a pastry brush to brush a thin layer over the exposed crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until the top is golden and the center is no longer jiggly. Serve warm!
AVOCADO CAPRESE SALAD
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons pesto
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 ripe avocados peeled, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- In a salad bowl, combine tomatoes, mozzarella, pesto, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl; mix well to evenly coat in the dressing.
- Toss with the avocados. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.